The entire history of Caprotti has taken place in the heart of Monza, in via Carlo Alberto. Enrico Caprotti, the founder, opened the first electrical shop at no. 37, in 1927. The shop then moved into, at the time no. 20, a much larger shop with three front display windows. There it remained until 1938, when it came time to move once again, only this time to the opposite side of the street to a shop with seven front display windows. Here it would remain until 1968, when it would move to its current location at no. 50, an historic early century palazzo, formerly the Bank of Italy building.
In the second half of the 1950s, the era of architectural lighting began when Angelo and Antonio Caprotti, sons of Enrico, imported the first modern chandeliers directly from Sweden. It was at this time that the first contacts were made with the brilliant “designer-entrepreneurs” Sarfatti, Bruno Gatta, and Angelo Lelli, and whose lighting created the history of Italian design. The year 1960 marked the beginning of the collaboration with the companies, who then were small and unknown, while today they established around the world.
In 1988, architect Alessandro Mendini transformed the original Caprotti shop at via Carlo Alberto 21, into “Dive Luminose”, a spectacular, permanent exhibition space where “personal exhibitions” by the most respected houses of lighting design were regularly presented, with custom installations created for each display.
In 2006, following the total renovation of its interior space, Caprotti Luce has been located in via Carlo Alberto 50, where it regularly hosts the installations which, since 1998, have taken place in this exhibition hall.
The third generation of the Caprotti family of Monza, with Antonio Caprotti still by their side, have brought their precious wealth of skill and experience into the twenty-first century, and combined it with the enthusiasm of modernity. The traditional points of strength, the rich catalogue, the variety of renowned brands and the attentive care of the customer are joined together with new technologies: an eye-catching website with an online catalogue and information request modules, and new ideas to provide a better service.
Photogallery our history